About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization working to elect Democrats up and down the ballot. We make it possible for anyone to make an impact on the elections that determine the balance of power in our country, by volunteering in and donating to key races. Since launching in 2017, Swing Left volunteers have raised $80 million for Democratic candidates, civic organizations, and voter mobilization efforts, and made more than 44 million combined phone calls, door knocks, and letters sent to voters via our affiliate Vote Forward and their partners.
About Vote Forward
Vote Forward is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization that builds tools to encourage Americans to vote. We work to increase the participation of traditionally underrepresented groups in the electorate, and to increase civic engagement among the public at large, by supporting the volunteers working to engage these voters. Since 2018, more than 250,000 grassroots volunteers have used the Vote Forward platform to send handwritten letters to more than 25 million prospective voters to encourage them to register to vote and turn out for elections. Vote Forward is closely affiliated with Swing Left, and Vote Forward staff work with Swing Left on many projects of mutual interest.
The objective of the Head of Political & Organizing is twofold:
- To ensure a strategic and successful approach to winning elections for Democrats running in the most competitive state and federal races by overseeing the strategic vision for organizing, volunteer mobilization, strategic political engagement, and political relationship management at Swing Left.
- To drive the increased participation of historically underrepresented groups by overseeing the strategic vision for non-partisan organizing, volunteer mobilization, experimentation and research at Vote Forward.
This role reports to the Managing Director and is an at-will position.
The Swing Left and Vote Forward team is fully remote, but there is an expectation for the Head of Political & Organizing to attend in-person events, generally located in Washington, D.C. Candidates who are not local to the D.C. area should have the ability to travel there regularly.
We aim to begin interviews for this position by early February. We expect to review the first batch of applications by January 20 and then will do a rolling review of applications until the position is filled and/or the application is closed.
Oversee the development, implementation, and execution of high-level strategy for organizing, mobilizing, political, and experimental efforts to grow Swing Left and Vote Forward’s voter contact programs
- Oversee voter contact programs to build, refine, and expand Swing Left and Vote Forward’s volunteer networks for maximal impact on key elections
- Oversee the vision, goal setting, and tracking process to monitor the success of organizing, political, and research/experimentation programs
- Oversee the development and execution of creative, impactful, and accessible voter contact campaigns and programs to engage volunteers around key mobilization moments and contact voters effectively
- Oversee the development, implementation, execution, analysis, and communication of Vote Forward’s experimental and research agenda, in close partnership with the Vote Forward team
- Serve as a key stakeholder for product development of organizing and voter contact tools/products/programs
- Oversee the development, implementation, and execution of Swing Left’s political strategy and campaigns programs, including political targeting and strategy for civic organization support
- Oversee and lead the organization’s engagement, coordination, and partnership with campaign entities, candidates, party committees, non-partisan and non-political entities (e.g., Swing Left Blueprint 501c3 and 501c4 grantees, Vote Forward c3 and corporate partners), and state parties/caucuses, including presidential, U.S. Senate, U.S House, gubernatorial, and state legislative campaigns and coordinated efforts
- Guide teams across the organization on the best approaches for handling challenging political dynamics, and for being aware of those dynamics in the first place
- Serve as a key partner to the Executive Director in representing the organization externally, including engagement with partners, allies, media, press, and donors
- Consult with and ensure alignment between teams on political objectives and priorities, and collaborate across the organization to develop and execute strategy during rapid response moments
Serve as a member of the organization’s leadership team: collaborate with other leadership team members and executive leadership to analyze feedback from staff, identify areas of improvement, establish org-wide priorities and programs, and coordinate to ensure the success of cross-functional initiatives
Successful Head of Political and Organizing candidates will have
- A strong commitment to Swing Left’s mission and values
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; the demonstrated ability to provide outstanding customer service via written and verbal communication
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated experience (with increasing responsibility) in applying them to evaluate political priorities and identify targets for electoral organizing programs
- Experience building coalitions and managing strategic relationships within the progressive movement and/or Democratic Party
- Demonstrated experience running successful electoral organizing programs, preferably with strong digital and distributed organizing experience
- Passion for working with volunteers and building innovative, creative electoral organizing programs
- Familiar with data tracking, reporting, CRM platforms, and analysis; experience with product development a plus
- Ability to diagnose problems quickly and foresee potential issues, and a strong solutions orientation
- Demonstrated success managing and leading staff and building an impact-driven, collaborative team culture
- A keen interest in being an intentional organizational leader, trusted thought partner to executive leadership, and critical individual contributor
- A demonstrated commitment to equity and belonging across all identities including but not limited to race, gender, sexual orientation, age and ability. A specific track record of a commitment to BIPOC communities
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively across teams in a remote environment
Working at Swing Left
The Head of Political and Organizing role is a full-time, exempt and remote position. There are regular in-person commitments located in Washington, D.C. expected for this role (see more information in the Overview section of this posting). The pay range for this position is $148,565 – $165,073 on an annualized basis. We provide cost of living compensation increases at the beginning of each year.
In addition to health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits, Swing Left’s benefits package includes a professional development fund, a remote work fund, and a technology stipend for all employees. We have an unlimited time-off policy, a flexible medical and parental leave policy, and our office is closed for approximately 25 business days each year. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our benefits and policies in interviews.
We are an equal opportunity employer and seek applications from all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, citizenship, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy status, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other differences.
Please note the best way to express interest in this position is to submit an application––this is the most effective way for our team to review and process applications fairly and efficiently.