The Head of Digital will oversee Swing Left’s two primary communication platforms—email and social media—as tools for recruiting and empowering hundreds of thousands of grassroots volunteers and donors to have electoral impact.
This position will report to the Chief Marketing Officer and manage a team of email, social media, and other digital marketers. They will provide leadership, vision, and strategy as well as excellence in execution. The ideal candidate will have deep platform knowledge; experience driving digital growth and conversion to action for political campaigns or organizations; and a commitment to maintaining and elevating brand. This is a new position at Swing Left and will be part of the organization's Leadership team.
About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization that took back the House in 2018 by building a national campaign for Democratic candidates in 84 Swing Districts in three big ways: recruiting and training an army of volunteers, raising funds from grassroots donors, and building cultural momentum for the midterms. For 2020, we’ll be bringing our “campaigns-in-waiting” model to swing Senate seats, defend the House, win the state-level races needed to ensure fair maps for 2021 redistricting—and, of course, the Presidency.
In 2018 we took back the House. Join us, and help take back all the Houses in 2020.
- Define strategy and oversee the implementation of Swing Left’s email and social media programs
- Collaborate on strategic communications strategy and messaging; review and approve email messaging
- Oversee digital strategy and implementation in rapid response moments
- Build regional digital marketing program
- Manage cross-organizational projects with a digital marketing focus
- Work with Executive Director and Development Director to develop and implement digital strategies for small-dollar fundraising
- Coordinate and collaborate with teams including Creative, Product, and Communications on strategy, assets, content, and voices to support initiatives and campaigns.
- Ensure copy and visuals are consistently accessible, positive, informative, intelligent, and action-focused, in keeping with Swing Left’s voice and brand.
- Establish metrics and goals; track progress to goals and monitor success of the digital program
- Gather and translate data making recommendations to refine strategy
- Coordinate and collaborate with CMO, Managing Director, senior Heads and Directors, and other full-time and part-time staff to execute the above
- Build, lead, and manage a team of skilled digital marketers
- Identify and engage new tools and outside resources in support of org-wide and department initiatives
- 8+ years of experience running email, social media, and/or growth programs in the political space
- Up-to-the-minute knowledge of digital platforms and tactics being used in politics, activism, and commerce
- Superb writing and editing skills. A knack for crafting persuasive messages and compelling stories that inform, entertain, inspire, and engage
- Finely-tuned attention to consistency and detail
- Experience managing and leading teams
- News media addict. Knowledge of what’s happening in politics as well as familiarity with broader trends (entertainment, business/tech, culture, etc)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work in a collaborative, forward-thinking environment, with flexibility, and at a rapid pace
- Ability to work in a primarily virtual office
- Digital fundraising and/or rapid response experience a plus
- Deep commitment to Swing Left’s mission and empowering others with the means to have personal impact on our country’s political future
- Comfort in a rapidly changing virtual work environment (Swing Left is still very much a startup)
The Head of Digital position is full-time, remote position. Swing Left provides a competitive salary and benefits package. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our benefits, retirement, parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
We believe that the GOP's bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. As a result, we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do and we welcome all applicants regardless of age, citizenship, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy status, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other differences.